“Cancer comes into a life and worms its way in. It’s the unspoken presence every day of the person’s life—‘the cancer’s back’ or ‘in remission’ are common references in the life of the person with cancer. However, it continues to be the people who can fight it that make the whole disease seem beatable and worth fighting.” ~Anonymous
I was so touched by this inspiring quote, that I had to share it with all of you. There were so many thoughts that came up for me when I read it. As a cancer survivor, I can look back and see that it was a fight. There were so many times that I wanted to give up, but I kept on going. I am grateful to be in remission. There is an “unspoken presence” ever since I was diagnosed. I don’t feel it most days, but it is there. It is something that I have accepted.
My hope is to stay in remission. There is a recurrence rate of about 30% with my type of cancer. But percentages don’t really mean much to me. When they found my tumor, I was told that there was a 95% chance that it was non-malignant. Regardless of the percentage, I knew in my gut that it was cancer. When the results came back, it was confirmed that the tumor was malignant. I was one of the people in the 5% category. Those were not odds that I was happy about beating. But it did teach me not to give percentages too much power.
I also learned that my health and well-being were worth fighting for. Surviving cancer was worth the fight. I was worth the fight! It changed me. I discovered my inner-voice and spoke up instead of staying silent. I asked doctors all of my questions, instead of filtering the ones out that didn’t seem important. I made the calls to my insurance company many times to resolve issues with coverage and billing instead paying the first bill I received. I didn’t pay the price for the disconnect within the healthcare system. I opened my mouth and talked about how I felt and didn’t pretend that everything was alright all of the time. I prayed and prayed and had faith that it would all work out. I created this blog to share my experience and help others. In turn, I was able to get my virtual voice heard. And to my pleasant surprise, I have gotten back so much love and support in return.
We are all worth the fight!